By Ron Lazzer
The weather has been warm lately which has made for a great opportunity to get outside, but many of us have resorted to the A/C to cool off indoors and probably spent a little too much time on our smartphones. Our summers are often too short so here are 10 tips to entertain friends and family outdoors and enjoy the warm weather.
1. Place seating and a table under a shade tree. Relaxing in the shade can be nicer and almost as cool as an air conditioned room. If you don’t have a shade tree, plant one now.
As the saying goes: the best time to plant a shade tree was 20 years ago, the second best time is now.
2. Have a barbecue and invite guests over. It’s a great way to connect with people and enjoy some grilled meat and vegetables
3. Why not have a networking event in your backyard? Your flower garden can be an excellent conversation point.
Invite people you know and make sure each guest brings one new person. Let the sunshine light your event rather than the harsh fluorescent lighting we often find indoors.
4. Try different types of mood lighting such as stringing lights across your backyard, hanging lights from a mature tree or placing lanterns around your backyard. It will stretch out the time you can spend outdoors and create a completely different feeling.
5. Try placing a long patio table in your garden, cover it with a table cloth and enjoy a long leisurely meal the old European way.
6. Install a gazebo, either yourself if you have the time and skill or have it professionally built and enjoy an intimate space to connect with people you care about. It’s also a good place for children to play.
If you care for an elderly parent it can be a nice place for them to spend time outdoors instead of being housebound.
7. Install or upgrade a patio. This one is limited only by your creativity and taste.
Try interlocking for that old world cobble stone effect or, flagstone for a more luxurious and romantic feel.
A patio creates a solid stable surface to place furniture and containers of flowers as well as a good place to simply stand and talk during backyard get-togethers.
8. When it comes to outdoor dining try covering your space with a pergola and some vines winding their way up the sides.
The dappled sun effect will create a feeling of calm and relaxation. Combine that with a gentle breeze and chirping birds and you have a personal space others will envy.
9. Outdoor games can be alot of fun too.
Badminton, bocce, or croquet are always a hit with guests and a great way to get children and adults to play together.
10. Lastly, for those who want to go all out, consider an outdoor TV.
It’s a new trend that’s starting to catch on. Imagine watching a soccer game, baseball game, or a movie outside. That would be an incredible way to bring the indoors outside.
There you have it, 10 tips and ideas for great outdoor living. So stop playing Pokemon Go, put down your phone, and enjoy the summer.
Ron Lazzer is the owner of Bellevue Landscaping. If you have any questions or comments please email them to: